How the reimbursements from Kela will change from 1 January 2023
- Reimbursements from Kela will no longer be available for most examinations and treatments prescribed by private doctors. However, reimbursements from Kela can still be paid for visits to a private doctor. The reimbursements for the costs for private dental care will also remain unchanged.
- From 1 January 2023 reimbursement is paid for
- visit to or remote consultation with a general practitioner or specialist 8 euros
- treatment by a psychiatrist 10.50-27 euros (the amount reimbursed depends on the duration of the visit)
- remote consultation with a psychiatrist 12 euros.
- You can also get reimbursement for examinations and treatments in private medical care that have been prescribed by
- a psychiatrist
- an oral and maxillofacial surgeon
- a dentist or specialist dentist.
If the examination or treatment is prescribed by some other doctor, reimbursement from Kela is not available. However, this does not apply to examinations by a psychologist. Reimbursement from Kela can still be paid for these examinations regardless of who has prescribed them.
- From 1 January 2023 reimbursement is not payable for
- physiotherapy, lymph therapy or phototherapy for skin conditions
- examinations and treatments prescribed by someone else than a psychiatrist, an oral and maxillofacial surgeon or a dentist
- private medical care, when you visit a private medical care provider with a referral from a public healthcare provider.
- Please note that the changes to the reimbursements from Kela also affect the reimbursements for travel costs. You can get reimbursement for the journey to a private medical care provider only if the treatment provided there is reimbursed from Kela.